An example of disintegrate is the way a cookie falls apart in a glass of milk.
intransitive verb-·grat·ed, -·grat·ing
- to separate into parts or fragments; break up; disunite
- to undergo or cause to undergo a nuclear transformation as a result of radioactive decay or a nuclear reaction
verbdis·in·te·grat·ed, dis·in·te·grat·ing, dis·in·te·grates
- To become reduced to components, fragments, or particles. See Synonyms at decay.
- To lose cohesion or unity: pressures that cause families to disintegrate
- Physics & Chemistry To decompose, decay, or undergo a nuclear transformation.
(third-person singular simple present disintegrates, present participle disintegrating, simple past and past participle disintegrated)
Recorded since 1785, dis- + integrate