- Decompose is defined as to rot, to decay, to break down into parts or to disintegrate into the earth, or to cause something to break down or rot.
- When a dead body breaks down and eventually some of its parts disintegrate into the earth, this is an example of a time when the body decomposes.
- When you cause something to rot or break down, this is an example of a time when you decompose the item.
decompose definition by Webster's New World
decompose definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb de·com·posed, de·com·pos·ing, de·com·pos·es verb, transitive
- To separate into components or basic elements.
- To cause to rot.
- To become broken down into components; disintegrate.
- To decay; putrefy. See Synonyms at decay.
- deˌcom·posˌa·bilˈi·ty noun
- deˌcom·posˈa·ble adjective