- When a dead body breaks down and eventually some of its parts disintegrate into the earth, this is an example of a time when the body decomposes.
- When you cause something to rot or break down, this is an example of a time when you decompose the item.
Decompose is defined as to rot, to decay, to break down into parts or to disintegrate into the earth, or to cause something to break down or rot.
verbde·com·posed, de·com·pos·ing, de·com·pos·es
- To separate into components or basic elements.
- To cause to rot.
- To become broken down into components; disintegrate.
- To decay; rot or putrefy. See Synonyms at decay.
(third-person singular simple present decomposes, present participle decomposing, simple past and past participle decomposed)
From Middle French décomposer