- Pulverize is to crush into powder, or to demolish.
When a building is torn down, this is an example of when the building is pulverized.
pulverize definition by Webster's New World
- to crush, grind, etc. into a powder or dust
- to break down completely; demolish
Origin: Middle French pulveriser ; from Late Latin pulverizare ; from Classical Latin pulvis, powder: see pollen
pulverize definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb pul·ver·ized, pul·ver·iz·ing, pul·ver·iz·es verb, transitive
- To pound, crush, or grind to a powder or dust.
- To demolish.
Origin: Middle English pulverizen, from Late Latin pulverizāre, from Latin pulvis, pulver-, dust.
- pulˈver·izˌa·ble adjective
- pulˌver·i·zaˈtion noun
- pulˈver·izˌer noun