Pulverizing spices into a powder using a mortar and pestle.
When a building is torn down, this is an example of when the building is pulverized.
transitive verb-·ized·, -·iz·ing
- to crush, grind, etc. into a powder or dust
- to break down completely; demolish
Origin of pulverizeMiddle French pulveriser from Late Latin pulverizare from Classical Latin pulvis, powder: see pollen
verbpul·ver·ized, pul·ver·iz·ing, pul·ver·iz·es
- To pound, crush, or grind to a powder or dust.
- To overwhelm or defeat utterly: The visitors pulverized the home team.
Origin of pulverizeMiddle English pulverizen from Late Latin pulverizāre from Latin pulvis pulver- dust
(third-person singular simple present pulverizes, present participle pulverizing, simple past and past participle pulverized)
- (American) Alternative spelling of pulverise.