- Powder is a dry, dusty substance.
- An example of powder is a type of makeup women use to set their foundation.
- An example of powder is light, fine snow.
- Powder is defined as to sprinkle or apply a dry, dusty substance.
- An example of powder is to apply makeup to the face.
- An example of powder is to sprinkle talc on the body after a shower.
powder definition by Webster's New World
- any dry substance in the form of very fine, dustlike particles, produced by crushing, grinding, etc.
- a specific kind of powder: bath powder, face powder
- a drug in the form of powder
- a dose of this
Origin: prob. in reference to swift explosion of powderSlang a sudden or impulsive rush: obs. or Brit. dial. except in the slang phrase ☆ , to run away; leave
- fine, light, powdery snow, considered best for skiing
Origin: Middle English poudre ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin pulvis (gen. pulveris), dust: see pollen
- to sprinkle or cover with or as with powder
- to apply cosmetic powder to (the body, face, etc.)
- to make into powder; pulverize
- to be made into powder
- to use powder as a cosmetic
- powderer noun
powder definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A substance consisting of ground, pulverized, or otherwise finely dispersed solid particles.
- Any of various preparations in the form of powder, as certain cosmetics and medicines.
- An explosive mixture, such as gunpowder.
- Light dry snow.
- To reduce to powder; pulverize.
- To dust or cover with or as if with powder.
- Slang To defeat handily or decisively.
- To become pulverized; turn into powder.
- To use powder as a cosmetic.
Origin: Middle English poudre, from Old French, from Latin pulvis, pulver-.
- powˈder·er noun
powder - Medical Definition
- A dry mass of pulverized or finely dispersed solid particles.
- Any of various medicinal or cosmetic preparations in the form of powder.
- A single dose of a powdered drug.
powder - Phrases/Idioms
keep one's powder dry
Etymology: in reference to gunpowderSlang to be ready for action
keep (one's) powder dry
take a powder