Chiefly Scot. poll (sense )
used to suggest the sound of a shot, explosion, etc.
such a sound
prisoner of war
- Used to indicate a sudden loud noise, as of a blow or explosion.
- Used to indicate a sudden or unexpected occurrence.
Origin of powImitative
A prisoner of war.
- Represents the sound of a violent impact, such as a punch.
- Represents the sound of an explosion.
- (Scotland, Ireland, northern England) Alternative form of poll.
- Prisoner of war.
- After his capture he was taken to a camp for POWs.