An example of an interjection is someone saying, “oh!”
- the act of interjecting
- something interjected, as a word or phrase
- a word, esp. an exclamation, inserted into an utterance without grammatical connection to it (Ex.: ah! I declare!)
- any of a class of words used independently in this way (Ex.: ouch! well! pow! arf!)
Origin of interjectionMiddle English interjeccioun ; from Middle French interjection ; from Classical Latin interjectio
- A sudden, short utterance; an ejaculation.
- Abbr. interj. or int.a. The part of speech that usually expresses emotion and is capable of standing alone.b. Any of the words belonging to this part of speech, such as Ugh! or Wow!