- The definition of an exclamation is a calling out, or something which is suddenly expressed.
An example of an exclamation is the phrase "Oh my gosh!"
exclamation definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the act of exclaiming; sudden, vehement utterance; outcry
- something exclaimed; exclamatory word or phrase; interjection
Origin: Middle English exclamacioun ; from Classical Latin exclamatio
exclamation definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- An abrupt, forceful utterance: an exclamation of delight.
- An outcry, as of protest.
- Grammar An interjection.