- The definition of an exclamation is a calling out, or something which is suddenly expressed.
An example of an exclamation is the phrase "Oh my gosh!"
- the act of exclaiming; sudden, vehement utterance; outcry
- something exclaimed; exclamatory word or phrase; interjection
Origin of exclamationMiddle English exclamacioun ; from Classical Latin exclamatio
- An abrupt, forceful utterance: an exclamation of delight.
- An outcry, as of protest.
- Grammar An interjection.
- A loud calling or crying out; outcry; loud or emphatic utterance; vehement vociferation; clamor; that which is cried out, as an expression of feeling; sudden expression of sound or words indicative of emotion, as in surprise, pain, grief, joy, anger, etc.
- A word expressing outcry; an interjection; a word expressing passion, as wonder, fear, or grief.
- A mark or sign by which outcry or emphatic utterance is marked; thus [!]; – also called an exclamation point.
- Coatlán Mixe