- The definition of an exclamation is a calling out, or something which is suddenly expressed.
An example of an exclamation is the phrase "Oh my gosh!"
- the act of exclaiming; sudden, vehement utterance; outcry
- something exclaimed; exclamatory word or phrase; interjection
Origin: Middle English exclamacioun ; from Classical Latin exclamatio
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- An abrupt, forceful utterance: an exclamation of delight.
- An outcry, as of protest.
- Grammar An interjection.