- Hallelujah is defined as an expression of praise or thanks or rejoicing, especially in a religious context.
When you give thanks to God or express religious joy, this is an example of a time when you might say "Hallelujah!"
- The definition of hallelujah is an expression of praise or thanks or rejoicing (especially in a religious context), or a hymn or piece of church music containing this word of praise.
- When you finally get to retire after you have been waiting for decades, this is an example of a time when you might say a hallelujah.
- A church hymn praising the Lord is an example of a hallelujah.
A man says "hallelujah"!
hallelujah definition by Webster's New World
Origin: Ecclesiastical Late Latin alleluja ; from Ecclesiastical Greek hallēlouia ; from Classical Hebrew (language) ; from hallelū, praise (imper.) plush yāh, Jehovah
hallelujah definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- An exclamation of “hallelujah.”
- Music A composition expressing praise and based on the word “hallelujah.”
Origin: Hebrew halləlû-yāh, praise Yahweh : halləlû, masculine pl. imperative of hillēl, to praise; see hll in Semitic roots + yāh, Yahweh; see hwy in Semitic roots.