Origin of gollyAlteration of God
- (euphemistic) God! [From 1775.]
Euphemism for God, dating from the 18th century. Possibly a compaction of “God′s body”.
- Abbreviation of golliwog:
- A type of black rag doll.
- (offensive, ethnic slur) Any dark skinned person.
- (UK) A galosh.
(third-person singular simple present gollies, present participle gollying, simple past and past participle gollied)
- (Australia, juvenile) To spit; to force up phlegm from one's throat.
- (Australian slang, juvenile) Chewing gum.
- (Australian slang, juvenile) Saliva or phlegm.
- hack up a golly
Possibly from Goliath.