Inter is defined as between, among or within.prefix
An example of the usage of inter is in the word "interstate," which means a road that connects multiple states to each other.
Inter is defined as to bury a body in a grave or tomb.verb
An example of inter is to bury a family member in a grave.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- between or among: the second element of the compound is singular in form: interstate
- with or on each other (or one another), together, mutual, reciprocal, mutually, reciprocally: interact
Origin: L < inter, between, among < IE *enter, *ṇter (compar. of base *en, in) > OFr entre-, Sans antár, within, OE under, Ger unter, among, Gr enteron, intestine
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb in·terred, in·ter·ring, in·ters
Origin: Middle English enteren, from Old French enterrer, from Medieval Latin interrāre : Latin in-, in; see in-2 + Latin terra, earth; see ters- in Indo-European roots.
- Between; among: international.
- In the midst of; within: intertropical.
- Mutual; mutually: interrelate.
- Reciprocal; reciprocally: intermingle.
Origin: Middle English entre-, inter-, from Old French entre-, from Latin inter-, from inter; see en in Indo-European roots.
inter - Computer Definition
To cross over boundaries; for example, internetwork means from one network to another. Contrast with intra.
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.
inter - Medical Definition
- Between; among: interdental.
- In the midst of; within: interoceptor.
inter - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.