- Inter is defined as between, among or within.
An example of the usage of inter is in the word "interstate," which means a road that connects multiple states to each other.
- Inter is defined as to bury a body in a grave or tomb.
An example of inter is to bury a family member in a grave.
inter definition by Webster's New World
- between or among: the second element of the compound is singular in form: interstate
- with or on each other (or one another), together, mutual, reciprocal, mutually, reciprocally: interact
Origin: Classical Latin ; from inter, between, among ; from Indo-European an unverified form enter, an unverified form ṇter (compar. of base an unverified form en, in) from source Old French entre-, Sanskrit antár, within, Old English under, German unter, among, Classical Greek enteron, intestine
inter definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb in·terred, in·ter·ring, in·ters
Origin: Middle English enteren, from Old French enterrer, from Medieval Latin interrāre : Latin in-, in; see in-2 + Latin terra, earth; see ters- in Indo-European roots.
- Between; among: international.
- In the midst of; within: intertropical.
- Mutual; mutually: interrelate.
- Reciprocal; reciprocally: intermingle.
Origin: Middle English entre-, inter-, from Old French entre-, from Latin inter-, from inter; see en in Indo-European roots.
inter - Computer Definition
To cross over boundaries; for example, internetwork means from one network to another. Contrast with intra.
inter - Medical Definition
- Between; among: interdental.
- In the midst of; within: interoceptor.