- Hello is defined as a greeting or a response when on the phone, used to bring attention or an expression of surprise.
- An example of hello is what a person says when they answer the phone.
- An example of hello is what one person says to another when they're walking towards each other.
hello definition by Webster's New World
- used as a greeting or response, as in telephoning
- used to attract attention
- used to express astonishment or surprise: hello! what's this in my soup?
Origin: variant, variety of hollo
hello definition by American Heritage Dictionary
Origin: Alteration of hallo, alteration of obsolete holla, stop!, perhaps from Old French hola : ho, ho! + la, there (from Latin illāc, that way).