- Goodbye is defined as a way to express that you are leaving.
An example of goodbye is what you'd say to the hosts of a party you're leaving.
goodbye definition by Webster's New World
Webster\'s New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
goodbye definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
or good-bye also good-by
Used to express an acknowledgment of parting.
nounpl. good·byes or good-byes also good-bys
- An acknowledgment at parting, especially by saying “goodbye.”
- An act of parting or leave-taking: many sad goodbyes.
Origin of goodbyeAlteration (influenced by good day) of God be with you.
goodbye definition by Wiktionary
- good riddance
- An utterance of goodbye, the wishing of farewell to someone.
- John gave Rebecca a goodbye to wish her luck on her holiday.