- beautifying or designed to beautify the complexion, hair, etc.
- for improving the appearance by the removal or correction of blemishes or deformities, esp. of the face
- of or for improving the appearance without making any basic changes, as to conceal defects, make more acceptable, etc.; also, superficial
Origin of cosmeticClassical Greek kosm?tikos, skilled in arranging from kosmein, to arrange, adorn from kosmos, order
- any cosmetic preparation for the skin, hair, etc., as blush or powder
- anything cosmetic: often used in pl.