intransitive verb-·fied·, -·fy·ing
- to make or become solid, firm, hard, compact, etc.
- to crystallize
- to make or become solid, strong, or united
Origin of solidifyFrench solidifier: see solid and -fy
verbso·lid·i·fied, so·lid·i·fy·ing, so·lid·i·fies
- To make solid, compact, or hard: an ingredient that solidifies the mixture.
- To make strong or united: a speech that solidified her supporters.
- To become solid: as the cement solidifies.
- To become united: Her support is solidifying.
(third-person singular simple present solidifies, present participle solidifying, simple past and past participle solidified)