gel definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a colloidal form of matter having a jellylike texture, usually formed by cooling a colloidal solution into a solid or semisolid phase
- any of various jellylike preparations used to style hair, clean teeth, etc.
- gelatin ()
Origin: ; from gelatin
gel definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- A colloid in which the disperse phase has combined with the dispersion medium to produce a semisolid material, such as a jelly.
- See gelatin.
- A jellylike substance used in styling hair.
To become a gel.verb, transitive
To apply a gel to (the hair).
Origin: Short for gelatin.
- gelˈa·ble adjective
gel - Medical Definition
A colloid in which the disperse phase combines with the dispersion medium to produce a semisolid material.verb
- To become a gel.
- To convert a sol into a gel.