intransitive verb, transitive verb
- to become or cause to become jelly
- to become or cause to become somewhat firm, as gelatin does; set
- Informal to take or cause to take definite form; crystallize: plans that haven't jelled yet
Origin: back-form. < jelly
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb jelled, jell·ing, jells verb, intransitive
- To become firm or gelatinous; congeal. See Synonyms at coagulate.
- To take shape or fall into place; crystallize: A plan of action finally jelled in my mind.
- To cause to become firm or gelatinous.
- To cause to take shape; make clear and definite; crystallize.
Origin: Probably back-formation from jelly.