- to scatter (water, sand, etc.) in drops or particles
- to scatter drops or particles upon; cover or strew with a sprinkling
- to dampen before ironing
- to distribute at random or in a pattern
- to water (a lawn, etc.) with a sprinkler
Origin of sprinkleMiddle English sprinklen, akin to German sprenkeln: see spark
- to scatter something in drops or particles
- to fall in drops or particles
- to rain lightly or infrequently
- the act of sprinkling
- a small quantity; sprinkling
- a light rain
- tiny pieces of candy, variously flavored and shaped, used for decorating cookies, servings of ice cream, etc.
verbsprin·kled, sprin·kling, sprin·kles
- To scatter in drops or particles: sprinkled sugar on the cereal.
- To scatter drops or particles on: sprinkled the buns with flour.
- To intersperse with something as if by scattering: sprinkled his speech with quotations.
- To distribute or intersperse at random: sprinkled jokes throughout the speech.
- To scatter something in drops or particles.
- To fall or rain in small or infrequent drops.
- The act of sprinkling.
- A light rainfall.
- A small amount; a sprinkling.
- sprinkles Small particles of candy sprinkled on ice cream as a topping.
Origin of sprinkleMiddle English sprenklen, perhaps of Middle Dutch or Middle Low German origin.
(third-person singular simple present sprinkles, present participle sprinkling, simple past and past participle sprinkled)
- To cause (a substance) to fall in fine drops (for a liquid substance) or small pieces (for a solid substance).
- The confectioner sprinkled icing sugar over the cakes.
- To cover (an object) by sprinkling a substance on to it.
- The confectioner sprinkled the cakes with icing sugar.
- (intransitive) To drip in fine drops, sometimes sporadically.
- It sprinkled outside all day long.
- To baptize by the application of a few drops, or a small quantity, of water; hence, to cleanse; to purify.
- A light covering with a sprinkled substance.
- He decorated the Christmas card with a sprinkle of glitter.
- A light rain shower.