Variant of sprinkle
- to scatter (water, sand, etc.) in drops or particles
- to scatter drops or particles upon; cover or strew with a sprinkling
- to dampen before ironing
- to distribute at random or in a pattern
Origin: Middle English sprinklen, akin to German sprenkeln: see spark
- to scatter something in drops or particles
- to fall in drops or particles
- to rain lightly or infrequently
- the act of sprinkling
- a small quantity; sprinkling
- a light rain
- tiny pieces of candy, variously flavored and shaped, used for decorating cookies, servings of ice cream, etc.
- sprinkler noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.