- When you decorate a room in blues and yellows that all go well together, this is an example of when the colors harmonize.
- When the sopranos and altos all sing together in a pleasing way that creates beautiful music, this is an example of when the singers harmonize.
The definition of harmonize is to go well together, or to sing together in a pleasing way.
- to be in harmony; accord; agree
- to sing in harmony
Origin of harmonizeFrench harmonizer: see harmony and amp; -ize
- to make harmonious; bring into agreement
- to add chords to (a melody) so as to form a harmony
- to arrange into a harmony (sense )
verbhar·mo·nized, har·mo·niz·ing, har·mo·niz·es
- To bring or come into agreement or harmony.
- Music To provide harmony for (a melody).
- To be in agreement; be harmonious. See Synonyms at correspond.
- Music To sing or play in harmony.
(third-person singular simple present harmonizes, present participle harmonizing, simple past and past participle harmonized)