- The definition of a car is an automobile or the part of an elevator, train, etc. that carries people or freight.
- An example of car is a Honda Civic.
- An example of car is what people sit in on a train.
A bright red car.
car definition by Webster's New World
- any vehicle on wheels
- Old Poet. a chariot
- ☆ a vehicle that moves on rails, as a streetcar
- an automobile
- ☆ elevator ()
- the part of a balloon or airship for carrying people and equipment
Origin: Middle English and amp; Norman French carre ; from Classical Latin carrum, carrus, origin, originally , two-wheeled Celtic war chariot ; from Gaulish carros (OIr carr) ; from Indo-European an unverified form ṛsos ; from base an unverified form ers-, to run from source Classical Latin currere, to run, cursus, course
car definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- An automobile.
- A vehicle, such as a streetcar, that runs on rails: a railroad car.
- A boxlike enclosure for passengers and freight on a conveyance: an elevator car.
- The part of a balloon or airship that carries people and cargo.
- Archaic A chariot, carriage, or cart.
Origin: Middle English carre, cart, from Old North French, from Latin carra, pl. of carrus, carrum, a Gallic type of wagon; see kers- in Indo-European roots.
car - Computer Definition
(Computer-Assisted Retrieval) Systems that use the computer to keep track of text documents or records stored on paper or on microform. The computer is used to derive the location of a requested item, which must be manually retrieved from a shelf, bin, or microform. See also char.
car - Investment & Finance Definition
A unit quantity of an item, such as a contract, that is traded in the commodities market. For example, a car of bellies may refer to a contract on pork bellies. The term comes from the fact that quantities of the product specified in the futures contract correspond to the capacity of goods that can be packed into a railroad car.