The definition of a motor is anything that makes something move.noun
An example of a motor is the steam engine of a train.
Motor is defined as something having to do with muscular movement.adjective
An example of motor is being able to move your arms up and down, to have motor skills.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- anything that produces or imparts motion
- an engine; esp., an internal-combustion engine for propelling a vehicle
- motor vehicle
- Elec. a machine for converting electric energy into mechanical energy
Origin: L, a mover < motus, pp. of movere, move
- producing or imparting motion
- of, having to do with, or powered by a motor or motors: motor oil, motor parts, a motor bicycle
- of, by, or for motor vehicles: a motor trip
- for motorists: a motor inn
- designating or of a nerve carrying impulses from the central nervous system to a muscle that produces motion
- of, manifested by, or involving muscular movements: a motor reflex, motor skills
- to ride in a motor vehicle; esp., to travel by automobile
- Informal to walk or otherwise proceed at a swift or steady pace
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Something, such as a machine or an engine, that produces or imparts motion.
- A device that converts any form of energy into mechanical energy, especially an internal-combustion engine or an arrangement of coils and magnets that converts electric current into mechanical power.
- A motor vehicle, especially an automobile: “It was a night of lovers. All along the highway … motors were parked and dim figures were clasped in revery” (Sinclair Lewis).
- Causing or producing motion: motor power.
- Driven by or having a motor.
- Of or for motors or motor vehicles: motor oil.
- Of, relating to, or designating nerves that carry impulses from the nerve centers to the muscles.
- Involving or relating to movements of the muscles: motor coordination; a motor reflex.
Origin: Middle English motour, prime mover, from Latin mōtor, from mōtus, past participle of movēre, to move; see meuə- in Indo-European roots.
motor - Medical Definition
- Causing or producing motion.
- Of or being nerves that carry impulses from the nerve centers to the muscles.
- Involving or relating to movements of the muscles.
- Of or relating to an organism's overt reaction to a stimulus.
motor - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.