- The definition of a device is a tool or technique used to do a task.
- An example of a device is a telephone for the hearing impaired.
- An example of device is a literary tool like personification.
The telephone is a device used for communication.
device definition by Webster's New World
- a thing devised; plan; scheme, esp. a sly or underhanded scheme; trick
- an invention or contrivance, esp. a mechanical one, for some specific purpose
- something used to gain an artistic effect: rhetorical devices
- an ornamental figure or design
- a design, often with a motto, on a coat of arms; heraldic emblem
- any motto or emblem
- Archaic the act or power of devising
Origin: Middle English and amp; Old French devis, division, will ; from Old French deviser: see devise
device definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A contrivance or an invention serving a particular purpose, especially a machine used to perform one or more relatively simple tasks.
- a. A technique or means.b. A plan or scheme, especially a malign one.
- A literary contrivance, such as parallelism or personification, used to achieve a particular effect.
- A decorative design, figure, or pattern, as one used in embroidery. See Synonyms at figure.
- A graphic symbol or motto, especially in heraldry.
- Archaic The act, state, or power of devising.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French devis, division, wish, and Old French devise, design, both from Latin dīvīsus, dīvīsa, past participle of dīvidere, to divide, separate; see divide.
device - Computer Definition
(1) Hardware. The term refers to any electronic or electromechanical machine or component from a transistor to a disk drive to a smartphone. Device always refers to hardware, never to software. However, a "device driver" refers to software written to activate (to drive) a specific hardware device (see driver).
(2) In semiconductor design, a device is an active component, such as a transistor or diode, in contrast to a passive component, such as a resistor or capacitor.
(3) At times, "devices" is used to refer to mobile products such as smartphones and tablets, in contrast to desktop and laptop computers.
device - Legal Definition
device - Medical Definition
device - Phrases/Idioms
leave to one's own devices
leave to (one's) own devices