- The definition of a device is a tool or technique used to do a task.
- An example of a device is a telephone for the hearing impaired.
- An example of device is a literary tool like personification.
The telephone is a device used for communication.
- a thing devised; plan; scheme, esp. a sly or underhanded scheme; trick
- an invention or contrivance, esp. a mechanical one, for some specific purpose
- something used to gain an artistic effect: rhetorical devices
- an ornamental figure or design
- a design, often with a motto, on a coat of arms; heraldic emblem
- any motto or emblem
- Archaic the act or power of devising
Origin of deviceMiddle English and amp; Old French devis, division, will ; from Old French deviser: see devise
leave to one's own devices
- A contrivance or invention serving a particular purpose, especially a machine used to perform one or more relatively simple tasks.
- A literary contrivance, such as parallelism or personification, used to achieve a particular effect.
- a. A decorative design, figure, or pattern, as one used in embroidery. See Synonyms at figure.b. A graphic symbol or motto, especially in heraldry.
- A plan or scheme for accomplishing something: “Now Lydgate might have called at the warehouse, or might have written a message on a leaf of his pocket-book and left it at the door. Yet these simple devices apparently did not occur to him” (George Eliot).
Origin of deviceMiddle English, from Old French devis, division, wish, and Old French devise, design, both from Latin dīvīsus, dīvīsa, past participle of dīvidere, to divide, separate; see divide.
- Any piece of equipment made for a particular purpose, especially a mechanical or electrical one.
- There are a number of household devices in a kitchen such as a dishwasher, a garbage disposal, or an electric can opener.
- A project or scheme, often designed to deceive; a stratagem; an artifice.
- (rhetoric) A technique that an author or speaker uses to evoke an emotional response in the audience; a rhetorical device.
- (heraldry) A motto, emblem, or other mark used to distinguish the bearer from others. A device differs from a badge or cognizance primarily because as it is a personal distinction, and not a badge borne by members of the same house successively.
- (archaic) Power of devising; invention; contrivance.
- (law) An image used in whole or in part as a trademark or service mark.
- (printing) An image or logo denoting official or proprietary authority or provenience.
device - Computer Definition
(1) Hardware. The term refers to any electronic or electromechanical machine or component from a transistor to a disk drive to a smartphone. Device always refers to hardware, never to software. However, a "device driver" refers to software written to activate (to drive) a specific hardware device (see driver).
(2) In semiconductor design, a device is an active component, such as a transistor or diode, in contrast to a passive component, such as a resistor or capacitor.
(3) At times, "devices" is used to refer to mobile products such as smartphones and tablets, in contrast to desktop and laptop computers.
device - Legal Definition