- The definition of an instrument is a tool for doing work, particularly for scientific or artistic purposes.
- An example of an instrument is a drum.
- An example of an instrument is a thermometer.
This instrument is used to check blood sugar levels.
instrument definition by Webster's New World
- a thing by means of which something is done; means
- a person used by another to bring something about
- a tool or implement, esp. one used for delicate work or for scientific or artistic purposes
- any of various devices for indicating or measuring conditions, performance, position, direction, etc. or sometimes, for controlling operations, esp. in aircraft or rocket flight
- any of various devices producing musical sound, as a piano, drum, violin, oboe, etc.
- Law a formal document, as a deed, contract, etc.
- Finance a written order or promise to pay a sum of money: a negotiable instrument
Origin: Old French ; from Classical Latin instrumentum, a tool or tools, stock, furniture, dress ; from instruere: see instruct
- to provide with instruments
- Music to arrange (a composition) for instruments; orchestrate
instrument definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A means by which something is done; an agency.
- One used by another to accomplish a purpose; a dupe.
- An implement used to facilitate work. See Synonyms at tool.
- A device for recording, measuring, or controlling, especially such a device functioning as part of a control system.
- Music A device for playing or producing music: a keyboard instrument.
- A legal document, such as a deed, will, mortgage, or insurance policy.
- To provide or equip with instruments.
- Music To compose or arrange for performance.
- To address a legal document to.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin īnstrūmentum, tool, implement, from īnstruere, to prepare; see instruct.
variety of medical instruments
instrument - Business Definition
instrument - Investment & Finance Definition
instrument - Legal Definition
instrument - Medical Definition