- a thing by means of which something is done; means
- a person used by another to bring something about
- a tool or implement, esp. one used for delicate work or for scientific or artistic purposes
- any of various devices for indicating or measuring conditions, performance, position, direction, etc. or, sometimes, for controlling operations, as in an aircraft
- any of various devices designed or used to produce musical sound, as a piano, drum, violin, oboe, etc.
- Law a formal document, as a deed, contract, etc.
- Finance a written order or promise to pay a sum of money: a negotiable instrument
Origin of instrumentOld French from Classical Latin instrumentum, a tool or tools, stock, furniture, dress from instruere: see instruct
- to provide with instruments
- Music to arrange (a composition) for instruments; orchestrate