- The definition of instruct is to teach something or to tell someone how to do something.
- When you teach a class, this is an example of a time when you instruct the students.
- When you tell someone the proper way to eat at a table, this is an example of a time when you instruct him in table manners.
A teacher instructs her class.
instruct definition by Webster's New World
- to communicate knowledge to; teach; educate
- to give facts or information to on a particular matter; inform or guide: the judge instructs the jury
- to order or direct: to instruct a sentry to shoot
Origin: Middle English instructen ; from Classical Latin instructus, past participle of instruere, to pile upon, put in order, erect ; from in-, in, upon plush struere, to pile up, arrange, build: see strew
instruct definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb in·struct·ed, in·struct·ing, in·structs verb, transitive
- To provide with knowledge, especially in a methodical way. See Synonyms at teach.
- To give orders to; direct.
Origin: Middle English instructen, from Latin īnstruere, īnstrūct-, to prepare, instruct : in-, on; see in-2 + struere, to build; see ster-2 in Indo-European roots.