- Enlighten is defined as to inform or give spiritual understanding.
An example of enlighten is teaching a meditation workshop.
enlighten definition by Webster's New World
- to give the light of fact and knowledge to; free from ignorance, prejudice, or superstition
- Religion to give spiritual insight and understanding to
- to make clear to (a person) the facts or nature of something; inform
- Archaic to light up; illuminate
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- enlightener noun
enlighten definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb en·light·ened, en·light·en·ing, en·light·ens
- To give spiritual or intellectual insight to: “Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppression of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day” (Thomas Jefferson).
- To give information to; inform or instruct.
- en·lightˈen·er noun