- The definition of a tutor is a personal teacher, a teaching assistant or someone who helps a student catch up in a subject.
- An example of a tutor is someone who teaches a teenage celebrity.
- An example of a tutor is a teacher who assists a college professor with their teaching duties.
- An example of a tutor is an expert in writing who helps a student who is struggling with English class.
- To tutor is to give someone personalized instruction.
An example of tutor is to work with a student in math.
- a teacher who gives individual instruction to a student; private teacher
- a person who gives remedial or supplemental instruction to another
- Civil Law a legal guardian of a minor
- in English universities, a college official in charge of the studies of an undergraduate
- ⌂ in some American universities and colleges, a teacher ranking below an instructor; teaching assistant
Origin of tutorMiddle English ; from Middle French tuteur ; from Classical Latin tutor ; from tutus for tuitus, past participle of tueri, to look after, guard
- to act as a tutor to; teach; esp., to give individual instruction to
- Now Rare to train under discipline; discipline; admonish
- to act as a tutor, or instructor
- ⌂ to be instructed, esp. by a tutor
- a. A private instructor.b. One that gives additional, special, or remedial instruction.
- A teacher or teaching assistant in some universities and colleges having a rank lower than that of an instructor.
- A graduate, usually a fellow, responsible for the supervision of an undergraduate at some British universities.
- Law The guardian of a minor.
verbtu·tored, tu·tor·ing, tu·tors
- To act as a tutor to; instruct or teach privately.
- To have the guardianship, tutelage, or care of.
- To function as a tutor.
- To be instructed by a tutor; study under a tutor.
Origin of tutorMiddle English tutour, from Old French, from Latin tūtor, from tūtus, variant past participle of tuērī, to guard.
(third-person singular simple present tutors, present participle tutoring, simple past and past participle tutored)