- The definition of a pedagogue is an educator or a teacher who is very strict or by-the-book.
A teacher who makes you stand when he enters the room, who adheres rigidly to every rule whether it makes sense or not, and who gives you detention every time you get a wrong answer is an example of a pedagogue.
Origin of pedagogueMiddle English pedagoge ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin paedagogus ; from Classical Greek paidagōgos ; from pais, child (see pedo-) + agein, to lead: see act
- A schoolteacher; an educator.
- One who instructs in a pedantic or dogmatic manner.
Origin of pedagogueMiddle English pedagoge, from Old French, from Latin paedagōgus, slave who supervised children and took them to and from school, from Greek paidagōgos : paido-, boy; see pedo–1 + agōgos, leader (from agein, to lead; see ag- in Indo-European roots).
- A teacher or instructor of children; one whose occupation is to teach the young.
- A pedant; one who by teaching has become overly formal or pedantic in his or her ways; one who has the manner of a teacher.
- (historical, Ancient Greece) A slave who led the master's children to school, and had the charge of them generally.