The brake and gas pedals of an automobile.
- The definition of a pedal is something you push with your foot or legs that powers something or that prevents the dampers on a piano from stopping the sound.
- The metal thing in your car that you press down on to let gas come in and power the engine is an example of a gas pedal.
- The thing you push on with your foot to get your bike to move forward is an example of a pedal.
- The thing you push your foot down on when you want a piano to hold a note is an example of a pedal.
- Pedal is to use your foot or leg power to power something, or to press on something that provides power.
An example of pedal is wen you make a bicycle move forward with the power of your legs by pressing on pedals.
- of or having to do with the foot or feet
- of or operated by a pedal or pedals
Origin of pedalClassical Latin pedalis ; from pes (gen. pedis), foot
- a lever operated by the foot, used in transmitting motion, as on a bicycle, or a pad pressed by the foot in activating a mechanism, as on a sewing machine, so as to operate a device
- such a lever or pad used to change the tone or volume of a musical instrument, as an organ or harp
Origin of pedalMFr pédale < It pedale < L pedalis: see pedalthe
- a. A foot-operated lever used for actuating or controlling a mechanism, as in a loom, sewing machine, piano, or organ.b. A similar foot-operated part attached to a crank and used for powering various devices, such as a bicycle.
- Music a. A pedal point.b. A pedal keyboard.
- Of or relating to a pedal.
- Of or relating to a foot or footlike part: the pedal extremities.
verbped·aled, ped·al·ing, ped·als or ped·alled or ped·al·ling
- To use or operate a pedal or pedals.
- To ride a bicycle.
Origin of pedalFrench pédale, from Italian pedale, from Latin pedālis, one foot long, from pēs, ped-, foot; see ped- in Indo-European roots.
- ped′al·er, ped′al·ler
- To operate a pedal attached to a wheel in a continuous circular motion.
- to pedal one's loom
- To operate a bicycle.
- He was out of breath from pedalling up the steep hill.
(comparative more pedal, superlative most pedal)
- Of or relating to the foot.