- The definition of accelerate is to move faster or cause something to move faster.
An example of accelerate would be to push harder on the gas pedal to make the car’s speed increase.
- Accelerate is defined as to shorten the amount of time that is usually needed.
An example of accelerate would be to allow less time for a student to finish course work.
transitive verb-·at·ed, -·at·ing
- to increase the speed of
- to cause to develop or progress more quickly
- Physics to cause a change in the velocity of (a moving body)
- to cause to happen sooner
Origin of acceleratefrom Classical Latin acceleratus, past participle of accelerare from ad-, to + celerare, to hasten from celer, swift from Indo-European base an unverified form kel-, to drive from source Old English haldan, hold
verbac·cel·er·at·ed, ac·cel·er·at·ing, ac·cel·er·ates
- a. To increase the speed of: accelerated the engine. See Synonyms at speed.b. Physics To change the velocity of.
- To cause to occur sooner than expected: accelerated his retirement by a year.
- To cause to develop or progress more quickly: a substance used to accelerate a fire.
- a. To reduce the time required for (an academic course, for example); compress into a shorter period.b. To make it possible for (a student) to finish an academic course faster than usual.
Origin of accelerateLatin accelerāre accelerāt- ad- intensive pref. ; see ad- . celerāre to quicken ( from celer swift )
(third-person singular simple present accelerates, present participle accelerating, simple past and past participle accelerated)
- To cause to move faster; to quicken the motion of; to add to the speed of.
- To quicken the natural or ordinary progression or process of.
- to accelerate the growth of a plant, the increase of wealth, etc.
- (physics) To cause a change of velocity.
- To hasten, as the occurrence of an event.
- to accelerate our departure
- (education) To enable a student to finish a course of study in less than normal time.
- (intransitive) To become faster; to begin to move more quickly.
- (intransitive) Grow; increase.