- The definition of hasten is to cause something to happen more quickly, or to be quick to do something.
- An example of hasten is what you do to the demise of a company when you post lots of negative reviews of a company that is going bankrupt.
- An example of hasten is when you volunteer right away for an exciting job.
to cause to be or come faster; speed up; accelerate
Origin of hastenextended form of haste, verb
to move or act swiftly; hurry
verbhas·tened, has·ten·ing, has·tens
To move or act swiftly. See Synonyms at speed.
- To cause to move or act swiftly: The guard hastened him out of the room.
- To cause to happen sooner than otherwise would be the case: negotiations that hastened the end of the war.
- To speed up; accelerate: fanned the wet paint to hasten drying.
(third-person singular simple present hastens, present participle hastening, simple past and past participle hastened)