The definition of loiter is to hang around someplace without a reason to be there.verb
When you hang out at a store without any intent to buy anything, this is an example of a situation where you loiter.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- to linger in an aimless way; spend time idly: often with about
- to walk or move slowly and indolently, with frequent stops and pauses
Origin: ME loitren < MDu loteren (Du leuteren, to dawdle), akin to OE loddere, beggar < IE base *(s)leu-, to hang loosely > sleet, slur
- loiterer noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
intransitive verb loi·tered, loi·ter·ing, loi·ters
- To stand idly about; linger aimlessly.
- To proceed slowly or with many stops: loitered all the way home.
- To delay or dawdle: loiter over a task.
Origin: Middle English loitren, probably from Middle Dutch loteren, to totter, be loose.
- loiˈter·er noun