- The definition of loiter is to hang around someplace without a reason to be there.
When you hang out at a store without any intent to buy anything, this is an example of a situation where you loiter.
loiter definition by Webster's New World
- to linger in an aimless way; spend time idly: often with about
- to walk or move slowly and indolently, with frequent stops and pauses
Origin: Middle English loitren ; from Middle Dutch loteren (Du leuteren, to dawdle), akin to Old English loddere, beggar ; from Indo-European base an unverified form (s)leu-, to hang loosely from source sleet, slur
- loiterer noun
loiter definition by American Heritage Dictionary
intransitive verb loi·tered, loi·ter·ing, loi·ters
- To stand idly about; linger aimlessly.
- To proceed slowly or with many stops: loitered all the way home.
- To delay or dawdle: loiter over a task.
Origin: Middle English loitren, probably from Middle Dutch loteren, to totter, be loose.
- loiˈter·er noun