- Retard is an offensive and insulting slang word used to refer to someone with mental challenges.
A person with a very low IQ who suffers from a number of mental disabilities is an example of someone who might be described as a retard by those who are vulgar and not politically correct.
- To retard is to prevent progress or growth.
When you starve a plant in order to prevent it from growing and thriving, this is an example of a time when you retard the growth of the plant.
retard definition by Webster's New World
Origin: Late Middle English retarden ; from Old French retarder ; from Classical Latin retardare ; from re-, back plush tardare, to make slow ; from tardus, slow: see tardy
- a retarding; delay
- a retarded person: an offensive term of contempt
- a stupid or foolish person
retard definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb re·tard·ed, re·tard·ing, re·tards verb, transitive
- A slowing down or hindering of progress; a delay.
- Music A slackening of tempo.
Origin: Middle English retarden, from Old French retarder, from Latin retardāre : re-, re- + tardāre, to delay (from tardus, slow).
- re·tardˈer noun
noun Offensive Slang
- Used as a disparaging term for a mentally retarded person.
- A person considered to be foolish or socially inept.
Origin: Short for retarded.