- Retard is an offensive and insulting slang word used to refer to someone with mental challenges.
A person with a very low IQ who suffers from a number of mental disabilities is an example of someone who might be described as a retard by those who are vulgar and not politically correct.
- To retard is to prevent progress or growth.
When you starve a plant in order to prevent it from growing and thriving, this is an example of a time when you retard the growth of the plant.
Origin of retardLate Middle English retarden ; from Old French retarder ; from Classical Latin retardare ; from re-, back + tardare, to make slow ; from tardus, slow: see tardy
- a retarding; delay
- a retarded person: an offensive term of contempt
- a stupid or foolish person: considered somewhat offensive by many
verbre·tard·ed, re·tard·ing, re·tards
- A slowing down or hindering of progress; a delay.
- Music A slackening of tempo.
Origin of retardMiddle English retarden, from Old French retarder, from Latin retard&amacron;re : re-, re- + tard&amacron;re, to delay (from tardus, slow).
- Used as a disparaging term for a person who is mentally disabled.
- A person considered to be foolish or socially inept.
Origin of retardShort for retarded.
- Retardation; delay.
- (slang, offensive) A person with mental retardation.
- Do all retards have a low I.Q.?
- (slang, offensive) A stupid person, or one who is slow to learn.
(third-person singular simple present retards, present participle retarding, simple past and past participle retarded)
- To keep delaying; to continue to hinder; to prevent from progress; to render more slow in progress; to impede; to hinder
- retard the march of an army
- retard the motion of a ship
- To put off; to postpone.
- to retard the attacks of old age
- to retard a rupture between nations
- (intransitive) To decelerate; to slow down.