- The definition of a fetter is a chain for your feet or anything that is restraining.
An example of a fetter is a ball and chain.
- To fetter is defined as to hold something back or to bind.
An example of to fetter is to hold the leash of a dog.
- a shackle or chain for the feet
- anything that holds in check; restraint
Origin: Middle English feter ; from Old English ; from base of fot, foot, akin to German fessel
- to bind with fetters; shackle; chain
- to hold in check; restrain; confine
Origin: ME feterien < OE (ge)feterian
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A chain or shackle for the ankles or feet.
- Something that serves to restrict; a restraint.
- To put fetters on; shackle.
- To restrict the freedom of. See Synonyms at hamper1.
Origin: Middle English feter, from Old English; see ped- in Indo-European roots.