either of a pair of connected metal rings that can be locked about the wrists, as in restraining a prisoner: usually used in pl.
- to put handcuffs on; manacle
- to check or hinder the activities of
A restraining device consisting of a pair of strong, connected hoops that can be tightened and locked about the wrists and used on one or both arms of a prisoner in custody.
transitive verbhand·cuffed, hand·cuff·ing, hand·cuffs
- To put handcuffs on (a person).
- To restrain or render ineffective. See Synonyms at hobble.
- One ring of a locking fetter for the hand or one pair.
(third-person singular simple present handcuffs, present participle handcuffing, simple past and past participle handcuffed)