- a retarding or being retarded
- something that retards; hindrance
- mental retardation
- a decrease in velocity
- the degree to which something is retarded
Origin of retardationMiddle English from Classical Latin retardatio
- a. The act or process of delaying or impeding.b. The condition of being delayed or impeded.
- The extent to which something is held back or delayed.
- Something that retards; a delay or hindrance.
- Often Offensive Intellectual disability.
- Music A diminishing of tempo; a retard.
- The act of retarding or delaying; hindrance.
- The extent to which anything is retarded; the result of any retarding or delay; mental, social, or physical slowness.
- That which retards; an obstacle; an obstruction.
- (physics) Deceleration; reduction in the magnitude of velocity.
- (music) A suspension which resolves upwards.