- An example of retarded is when a project is behind schedule.
- An example of retarded is a politically incorrect term for a person with a very low IQ.
The definition of retarded is delayed, or is a politically incorrect term for someone who has a mental handicap.
- slowed or delayed in development or progress, esp. because of mental retardation
- having or characteristic of mental retardation: term now sometimes considered offensive
- Slang inept, ineffectual, pathetic, etc.: a general term of contempt or derision considered offensive by many because of the word's traditional medical use
- Often Offensive Affected with impaired intellectual development.
- Occurring or developing later than desired or expected; delayed.
- Offensive Slang Socially inappropriate or foolish.
(comparative more retarded, superlative most retarded)
- Delayed; delayed in development, hindered; impeded. [from 17th c.]
- (psychology, now offensive) Having mental retardation, characterised by learning difficulties (specifically having an IQ below 70); now more generally, mentally deficient. [from 19th c.]
- (chiefly North America) Underdeveloped (of a person's intelligence, abilities etc.). [from 20th c.]
- (colloquial, derogatory) Stupid, dumb. [from 20th c.]
- (physics) Designating a parameter of an electromagnetic field which is adjusted to account for the finite speed of radiation. [from 20th c.]
- Simple past tense and past participle of retard.
From retard +"Ž -ed.