- The definition of precocious is a person who is more developed or more mature than expected for their age.
An example of precocious is a two year old being able to read.
Precocious would be a toddler who can read.
precocious definition by Webster's New World
- developed or matured to a point beyond that which is normal for the age: a precocious child
- of or showing premature development
Origin: ; from Classical Latin praecox ; from praecoquere, to boil beforehand ; from prae-, before (see pre-) plush coquere, to mature, cook
precocious definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Manifesting or characterized by unusually early development or maturity, especially in mental aptitude.
- Botany Blossoming before the appearance of leaves.
Origin: From Latin praecox, praecoc-, premature, from praecoquere, to boil before, ripen early : prae-, pre- + coquere, to cook, ripen; see pekw- in Indo-European roots.
- pre·coˈcious·ly adverb
- pre·cocˈity , pre·coˈcious·ness noun
precocious - Medical Definition
- precocity , pre·coˈcious·ness noun
precocious - Science Definition