- The definition of precocious is a person who is more developed or more mature than expected for their age.
An example of precocious is a two year old being able to read.
Precocious would be a toddler who can read.
- developed or matured to a point beyond that which is normal for the age: a precocious child
- of or showing premature development
Origin of precocious; from Classical Latin praecox ; from praecoquere, to boil beforehand ; from prae-, before (see pre-) + coquere, to mature, cook
- Manifesting or characterized by development, aptitude, or interests considered advanced for a given age: a mathematically precocious child; a child with a precocious wit.
- Botany Blossoming before the appearance of leaves.
Origin of precociousFrom Latin praecox, praecoc-, premature, from praecoquere, to boil before, ripen early : prae-, pre- + coquere, to cook, ripen; see pekw- in Indo-European roots.
- pre·coc′ity , pre·co′cious·ness
(comparative more precocious, superlative most precocious)
From Latin praecox (“premature, precocious, ripe before time, early ripe”), from praecoquere (“to ripen beforehand, ripen fully, also boil beforehand”), from prae (“before”) + coquere (“to cook, boil”).