The definition of precocious is a person who is more developed or more mature than expected for their age.adjective
An example of precocious is a two year old being able to read.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- developed or matured to a point beyond that which is normal for the age: a precocious child
- of or showing premature development
Origin: < L praecox < praecoquere, to boil beforehand < prae-, before (see pre-) + coquere, to mature, cook
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Manifesting or characterized by unusually early development or maturity, especially in mental aptitude.
- Botany Blossoming before the appearance of leaves.
Origin: From Latin praecox, praecoc-, premature, from praecoquere, to boil before, ripen early : prae-, pre- + coquere, to cook, ripen; see pekw- in Indo-European roots.
- pre·coˈcious·ly adverb
- pre·cocˈity , pre·coˈcious·ness noun
precocious - Medical Definition
- precocity , pre·coˈcious·ness noun
precocious - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.