- The definition of premature is something that occurs too early or before it is ready.
- When you jump into something with an ill-prepared effort before you are ready, this is an example of a premature effort.
- When a baby is born after just seven months of pregnancy instead of nine months, this is an example of a baby that is premature.
happening, done, arriving, or existing before the proper or usual time; too early; specif., born before the full term of gestation
Origin of prematureClassical Latin praematurus: see pre- and amp; mature
- Occurring, growing, or existing before the customary, correct, or assigned time; uncommonly or unexpectedly early: a premature end.
- Born after a gestation period of less than the normal time: a premature infant.
Origin of prematureMiddle English, ripe, from Latin praemātūrus, ripe too early : prae-, pre- + mātūrus, ripe; see mā-1 in Indo-European roots.
- pre′ma·ture′ness, pre′ma·tu′ri·ty
(comparative more premature, superlative most premature)