- An example of previous is last week.
- An example of previous is the person who owned your house before you.
The definition of previous is the thing that occurred before something else, or the person who went before someone else.
- occurring before in time or order; prior
- Informal too soon; premature
Origin of previousClassical Latin praevius from prae- (see pre-) + via, way (see via)
- Existing or occurring before something else in time or order; prior: children by a previous marriage.
- Informal Acting, occurring, or done too soon; premature or hasty: “I have been too previous, for which you must blame the natural impatience of a man in love” ( Georgette Heyer )
Origin of previousFrom Latin praevius going before prae- pre- via way ; see wegh- in Indo-European roots.