- When you are 40, your carefree teenage years are an example of something foregone.
- When a decision is made before all the committee members have voted, this is an example of a foregone conclusion.
The definition of foregone is former, or previously determined.
- that has gone before; previous; former
- previously determined or confidently anticipated; also, inevitable or unavoidable: said of a conclusion
Past participle of forego1.
Having gone before; previous.Usage Note: The word foregone has recently developed a new meaning as a truncation of the phrase a foregone conclusion, as in It is by no means foregone that the team will relocate to Baltimore next season. But the usage has not gained broad acceptance. More than 80 percent of Usage Panelists disapproved of this usage in our 1997 survey.
- past participle of forego