- The definition of foreground is the area that is closest to the viewer.
A person posing in a picture in front of the Tower of London is an example of someone who is in the foreground.
This woman is in the foreground of the picture.
- the part of a scene, landscape, etc. nearest, or represented in perspective as nearest, to the viewer
- the most noticeable or conspicuous position
- The part of a scene or picture that is nearest to and in front of the viewer.
- See forefront.
transitive verbfore·ground·ed, fore·ground·ing, fore·grounds
(third-person singular simple present foregrounds, present participle foregrounding, simple past and past participle foregrounded)
- To place in the foreground (physically or metaphorically)