- The definition of propinquity is nearness in place or time, or similarity of nature.
- An example of propinquity is the nearness of a slaughterhouse to a hotel, making it difficult to rent rooms.
- An example of propinquity is the shared mannerisms of two sisters.
- nearness in time or place
- nearness of relationship; kinship
Origin of propinquityMiddle English propinquite ; from Middle French ; from Classical Latin propinquitas ; from propinquus, near ; from prope, near
- Proximity; nearness.
- Similarity in nature.
Origin of propinquityMiddle English propinquite, from Old French, from Latin propinquitās, from propinquus, near; see per1 in Indo-European roots.