- The definition of background is what is behind someone or something.
- In a photo of a person standing in front of a tree, the tree is an example of background.
- The job experience a person has had up until now is an example of their work background.
- Lyrics heard in a song not sung by the main singer are an example of background vocals.
Leaves against a blurred background.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- the part of a scene or picture that is or seems to be toward the back
- surroundings, esp. those behind something and providing harmony or contrast; surface against which something is seen
- a less important or unobtrusive place or position: to stay in the background
- the whole of one's study, training, and experience: the right background for the job
- the circumstances or conditions surrounding something
- the events leading up to something
- information which will help to explain something
- music (in full ) or sound effects used as a subordinated accompaniment to dialogue or action, as in movies
- any of various unwanted, interfering effects produced or registered by apparatus of various kinds, as static in radio or radiation due to cosmic rays
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The ground or scenery located behind something.
- a. The part of a pictorial representation that appears to be in the distance and that provides relief for the principal objects in the foreground.b. The general scene or surface against which designs, patterns, or figures are represented or viewed.
- A position or area of relative inconspicuousness or unimportance.
- The circumstances and events surrounding or leading up to an event or occurrence.
- A person's experience, training, and education: Her background in the arts is impressive.
- Subdued music played especially as an accompaniment to dialogue in a dramatic performance.
- a. Sound that intrudes on or interferes with an audio recording.b. Low-level radiation, as from radioactive decay, that exists as part of the natural environment.
- backˈgroundˌ verb
background - Computer Definition
(1) The non-interactive processing in the computer. See foreground/background.
(2) The base, or backdrop color. In order to distinguish any image on screen, whether text or graphics, there must be a contrasting background color.
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.
background - Phrases/Idioms
on deep background