- The definition of backdrop means the setting or location, or the mural scene behind the set of a play that sets the imaginary location for the scene.
- An example of backdrop is a mural of mountains in the back of a stage.
- An example of backdrop is the White House serving as the location for an important meeting about world peace.
- a curtain hung at the back of a stage, often painted to represent some scene
- background or setting, as of an event
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A painted cloth hung at the back of a stage set. Also called backcloth.
- The setting, as of a historical event; the background.