- Scenery is defined as the features of landscape that exist in a certain area, or painted sets created to represent places and surroundings in theatre productions.
- An the coast of California, the beaches that you see are an example of scenery.
- The set that has been painted for a play to show the inside of a house is an example of scenery.
Beautiful California scenery.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- painted screens, backdrops, hangings, etc., used on the stage to represent places and surroundings in a play, opera, etc.
- the general appearance of a place; features of a landscape
Origin: from obsolete scenary, scenic from Late Latin scenarius from Classical Latin scena, scene
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. scen·er·ies
- A view or views of natural features, especially in open country: enjoying the varied mountain scenery.
- Backdrops, hangings, furnishings, and other accessories on a stage that represent the location of a scene.