- The definition of prominent is something that is very noticeable or sticks out.
An example of prominent is the tattoo someone has on their face.
- Prominent is defined as someone who is known by many people.
An example of prominent is a famous or well-known writer.
- sticking out; projecting: a prominent chin
- noticeable at once; conspicuous: prominent markings
- widely and favorably known: a prominent artist
Origin: L prominens, present participle of prominere, to project from pro-, pro- plush minere, to project from minae, projections, threats: see menace
- prominently adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Projecting outward or upward from a line or surface; protuberant.
- Immediately noticeable; conspicuous. See Synonyms at noticeable.
- Widely known; eminent.
Origin: Middle English, from Latin prōminēns, prōminent-, present participle of prōminēre, to jut out : prō-, forth; see pro-1 + -minēre, to jut, threaten; see men-2 in Indo-European roots.
- promˈi·nent·ly adverb
prominent - Medical Definition
- Projecting outward or upward; protuberant.
- Immediately noticeable; conspicuous.