This woman has prominent facial markings.
- Prominent is defined as someone who is known by many people.
An example of prominent is a famous or well-known writer.
- The definition of prominent is something that is very noticeable or sticks out.
An example of prominent is the tattoo someone has on their face.
- sticking out; projecting: a prominent chin
- noticeable at once; conspicuous: prominent markings
- widely known; specif., significant and widely know within a particular field: a prominent anthropologist
Origin of prominentClassical Latin prominens, present participle of prominere, to project from pro-, pro- + minere, to project from minae, projections, threats: see menace
- Projecting outward or upward from a line or surface; protuberant: prominent eyebrows.
- Immediately noticeable; conspicuous: a product with a prominent place in the store. See Synonyms at noticeable.
- Widely known; eminent: a prominent poet.
Origin of prominentMiddle English from Latin prōminēns prōminent- present participle of prōminēre to jut out prō- forth ; see pro- 1. -minēre to jut, threaten ; see men-2 in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more prominent, superlative most prominent)
From Latin prÅminÄ“ns, present active participle of prÅmineÅ (“ jut out, to project"), from prÅ (“before, forward") + mineÅ (in compounds, "jut, project").