- Prominent is defined as someone who is known by many people.
An example of prominent is a famous or well-known writer.
- The definition of prominent is something that is very noticeable or sticks out.
An example of prominent is the tattoo someone has on their face.
This woman has prominent facial markings.
- sticking out; projecting: a prominent chin
- noticeable at once; conspicuous: prominent markings
- widely and favorably known: a prominent artist
Origin of prominentClassical Latin prominens, present participle of prominere, to project ; from pro-, pro- + minere, to project ; from minae, projections, threats: see menace
- Projecting outward or upward from a line or surface; protuberant: prominent eyebrows.
- Immediately noticeable; conspicuous: a product with a prominent place in the store. See Synonyms at noticeable.
- Widely known; eminent: a prominent poet.
Origin of prominentMiddle English, from Latin prōminēns, prōminent-, present participle of prōminēre, to jut out : prō-, forth; see pro–1 + -minēre, to jut, threaten; see men-2 in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more prominent, superlative most prominent)