- Prominent is defined as someone who is known by many people.
An example of prominent is a famous or well-known writer.
- The definition of prominent is something that is very noticeable or sticks out.
An example of prominent is the tattoo someone has on their face.
prominent definition by Webster's New World
- sticking out; projecting: a prominent chin
- noticeable at once; conspicuous: prominent markings
- widely and favorably known: a prominent artist
Origin: Classical Latin prominens, present participle of prominere, to project ; from pro-, pro- plush minere, to project ; from minae, projections, threats: see menace
- prominently adverb
prominent definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Projecting outward or upward from a line or surface; protuberant.
- Immediately noticeable; conspicuous. See Synonyms at noticeable.
- Widely known; eminent.
Origin: Middle English, from Latin prōminēns, prōminent-, present participle of prōminēre, to jut out : prō-, forth; see pro-1 + -minēre, to jut, threaten; see men-2 in Indo-European roots.
- promˈi·nent·ly adverb
prominent - Medical Definition
- Projecting outward or upward; protuberant.
- Immediately noticeable; conspicuous.