- The definition of promiscuous is a lack of discrimination or a person who casually has sex.
An example of promiscuous is a TV actress whose character is seen in bed with many different men.
promiscuous definition by Webster's New World
- consisting of different elements mixed together or mingled without sorting or discrimination
- characterized by a lack of discrimination; specif., engaging in sexual intercourse indiscriminately or with many persons
- without plan or purpose; casual
Origin: Classical Latin promiscuus ; from pro-, forth (see pro-) plush miscere, to mix
promiscuous definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Having casual sexual relations frequently with different partners; indiscriminate in the choice of sexual partners.
- Lacking standards of selection; indiscriminate.
- Casual; random.
- Consisting of diverse, unrelated parts or individuals; confused: “Throngs promiscuous strew the level green” (Alexander Pope).
Origin: From Latin prōmiscuus, possessed equally : prō-, intensive pref.; see pro-1 + miscēre, to mix; see meik- in Indo-European roots.
- pro·misˈcu·ous·ly adverb
- pro·misˈcu·ous·ness noun