promiscuous[prō mis′kyo̵̅o̅ əs, prə-]
- The definition of promiscuous is a lack of discrimination or a person who casually has sex.
An example of promiscuous is a TV actress whose character is seen in bed with many different men.
- consisting of different elements mixed together or mingled without sorting or discrimination
- characterized by a lack of discrimination; specif., engaging in sexual intercourse indiscriminately or with many persons
- without plan or purpose; casual
Origin of promiscuousClassical Latin promiscuus ; from pro-, forth (see pro-) + miscere, to mix
- Having casual sexual relations frequently with different partners; indiscriminate in the choice of sexual partners.
- a. Lacking standards of selection; acting without careful judgment; indiscriminate: criticized him for being promiscuous in his friendships.b. Showing little forethought or critical judgment; casual: the promiscuous use of the word “populism.”
- Consisting of diverse, unrelated parts or individuals; confused: “Throngs promiscuous strew the level green” (Alexander Pope).
Origin of promiscuousFrom Latin prōmiscuus, possessed equally : prō-, intensive pref.; see pro–1 + miscēre, to mix; see meik- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more promiscuous, superlative most promiscuous)
From Latin prÅmiscuus (â€œmixed, not separatedâ€), from prÅ (â€œforthâ€) + misceÅ (â€œmixâ€).