- The definition of chaste is something that does not involve sexual intercourse or someone who does not engage in sexual intercourse.
An example of a chaste relationship is one in which the parties do not have sexual activity with each other.
- not indulging in unlawful sexual activity; virtuous
- sexually abstinent; celibate
- pure, decent, or modest in nature, behavior, etc.
- restrained and simple in style; not ornate
Origin of chasteOld French ; from Classical Latin castus, pure, chaste: see caste
- a. Not having experienced sexual intercourse; virginal.b. Abstaining from sexual relations that are not sanctioned by certain religious laws or moral principles.c. Abstaining from sexual relations; celibate.
- Not involving or suggestive of sexual desire or indecency: a chaste kiss; a chaste conversation.
- Pure or simple in design or style; austere.
Origin of chasteMiddle English, from Old French, from Latin castus; see kes- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative chaster, superlative chastest)
- Married couples are often exhorted to have "chaste sex"--compare the Vatican encyclical Casti Connubii (Of Chaste Wedlock).