- The definition of chaste is something that does not involve sexual intercourse or someone who does not engage in sexual intercourse.
An example of a chaste relationship is one in which the parties do not have sexual activity with each other.
chaste definition by Webster's New World
- not indulging in unlawful sexual activity; virtuous
- sexually abstinent; celibate
- pure, decent, or modest in nature, behavior, etc.
- restrained and simple in style; not ornate
Origin: Old French ; from Classical Latin castus, pure, chaste: see caste
chaste definition by American Heritage Dictionary
adjective chast·er, chast·est
- Morally pure in thought or conduct; decent and modest.
- a. Not having experienced sexual intercourse; virginal.b. Abstaining from unlawful sexual intercourse.c. Abstaining from all sexual intercourse; celibate.
- Pure or simple in design or style; austere.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin castus; see kes- in Indo-European roots.
- chasteˈly adverb
- chasteˈness noun