- Virgin describes someone or something pure, untouched or untainted.
An example of someone who would be described as a virgin is a virgin bride who has never had intercourse and who is innocent and pure.
- The definition of a virgin is someone who has no experience in a particular situation.
- An example of a hockey virgin is someone who has never played hockey or been to a hockey game.
- An example of a virgin is a person who has never had sexual intercourse.
- a woman, esp. a young woman, who has never had sexual intercourse
- Archaic an unmarried girl or woman
- a man, esp. a youth, who has never had sexual intercourse
- Informal a person who is entirely new to or inexperienced in a specified thing: a stock market virgin
- a female animal that has not copulated
- a female insect that lays eggs without impregnation by the male
Origin of virginMiddle English ; from Old French virgine ; from Classical Latin virgo (gen. virginis), maiden: uncertain or unknown; perhaps akin to virga, slender branch, twig, shoot
- being a virgin
- composed of virgins
- characteristic of or proper to a virgin; chaste; modest
- like or suggesting a virgin because untouched, unmarked, pure, clean, etc.: virgin snow
- up to this time unused, unexplored, unworked, undiscovered, etc.: a virgin forest
- occurring uncombined in its native form: virgin silver
- being the first; initial: a virgin effort
- obtained from the first pressing, without the use of heat: said of an oil, esp. olive oil
- obtained directly from an ore or raw material: said esp. of a metal
- made without alcohol: said of a drink otherwise prepared like a cocktail: a virgin piña colada
- Mary, the mother of Jesus
- Virgo, the constellation and sixth sign of the zodiac
- a. A person who has not experienced sexual intercourse.b. A female virgin. Used chiefly in historical contexts.
- Virgin The Virgin Mary.
- Zoology An animal that has not mated or has not been fertilized.
- A person who is inexperienced in a given activity or field: “all these [factors] kept me a gun virgin well into midlife” (Michael DiLeo).
- a. Never having experienced sexual intercourse; chaste.b. Zoology Relating to or being a virgin.
- Inexperienced or about to gain first experience in a given activity or field: a virgin skydiver.
- Unaltered or barely altered by human action, especially:a. Not traveled upon: virgin snow.b. Never having had trees removed or cut down: a virgin forest.c. Never having been cultivated: virgin land.d. Not processed or refined: virgin ore; virgin wood pulp.
- Happening for the first time; initial: a ship's virgin voyage.
- Obtained directly from the first pressing: virgin olive oil.
- Made with the ingredients of a cocktail but without alcohol.
Origin of virginMiddle English, from Old French virgine, from Latin virgō, virgin-.
- A person who has never had sexual intercourse, or sometimes, one who has never engaged in any sexual activity at all.
- I've always wanted to sleep with a virgin but I don't see it happening.
- (informal) One who has never used or experienced a specified thing.
- I've never eaten tofu before - you could say I'm a tofu virgin.
- Any of several species of gossamer-winged butterflies of the family Lycaenidae.
- A female insect producing eggs from which young are hatched, though there has been no fecundation by a male; a parthenogenetic insect.
From Old French virgine, from Latin virginem (nominative: virgo).